The Conservation Ecology Lab (www.conservationecologylab.com) at San Diego State University seeks a self-motivated and hardworking graduate student at the M.S. level to conduct research on mule deer ecology and conservation through an assessment of population estimation techniques in partnership with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The goal of this project is to implement a population survey of southern mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus fuliginatus) in southern California and to determine how the efficacy of survey methodologies varies across terrain and vegetation. The research project will focus on applied conservation science, and wildlife, landscape, and quantitative ecology. Potential research questions may include topics related to setting conservation targets for local deer populations, identification of wildlife corridors to support deer populations, and how built landscape features (e.g., roads and urbanization) may affect mule deer demographics in southern California.
- Overall undergraduate GPA > 2.85 for the last 60 semester units, and at least 3.0 for all upper division biology courses.
- General GRE scores of at least 156 Verbal, 150, and 4.5 Writing. A GRE Biology subject test is not required.
- For foreign students, a minimum score on the TOEFL exam of 550 (paper exam) or 80 (computer-based exam) is required.
- A Bachelor's degree in Biology or related Field (e.g., Environmental Science, Range Management) from any accredited college or university, with coursework comparable to the undergraduate program in Biology at San Diego State University. Students may be asked to take additional coursework to fill curriculum deficits.
- Demonstrated interest in conservation and wildlife ecology
- Experience in independent research and development of research questions
- Experience in field work – ability to hike long distances in difficult terrain and operate 4x4 manual transmission vehicles
- Strong writing skills
To apply, submit the following to Drs. Megan Jennings (email@example.com) and Rebecca Lewison (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Dec 1, 2016:
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in the position, qualifications, experience, and research and career goals
- Curriculum Vitae
- Academic transcripts (unofficial ok)
- GRE scores (unofficial ok)
- Names and contacts for three professional references